Of the Drei Gleichen Fortresses, the Veste Wachsenburg is the one that has been changed most in its construction style. It was built in the 10th century by Hersfeld Monastery, probably as a frontier fortification against the approaching Hungarians. It was called a "moated castle" and owned by the Counts of Mühlburg in the 13th century. Old pictures show it as a fortress with a fort-type core with a four-cornered keep, Romanesque palace and, at a lower level, a ring wall with mighty buttresses. In 1651, the 93-metre deep castle well was finished. The Duke of Saxony-Gotha had the Veste Wachsenburg expanded into a regional fortification in 1710. At the end of the 18th century, the castle was turned into a prison. The Hohenlohe viewing tower was built in 1905. The castle was again converted between 1965-1969, this time into an hotel and restaurant. The Veste Wachsenburg also saw lots of fighting during its long history. In 1441, the infamous Knight Apel von Vitzthum conquered the castle, from which he then launched his raids on Erfurt merchants. Only ten years later, the people of Erfurt put an end to the activities of these robber knights, in co-operation with other towns, and reconquered the castle.