St. Mary's Church, Müntzer Memorial
St Mary's Church, built in the 14th century, is Thuringia's second largest hall church after Erfurt Cathedral and has always played a major role in Mühlhausen's history. It was the preferred burial site for the town's most prominent citizens. The Princes' Diet was held here and in 1525, Thomas Müntzer, the radical reformer, preached here. It was in St Mary's Church that the young Johann Sebastian Bach’s Ratswahlkantate (cantata for the election of the town councillors) was heard for the first time.
An exhibition of numerous works of art from the inventory of the Weimar Classic Foundation recalls the church's role as a medieval religious venue.
The new exhibition of medieval art from Thuringia, entitled "Of Unicorns and Dragon Slayers", opens here on 13 November 2018.