The history of Greiz Park goes back to the middle of the 17th century. Initially, there was a kitchen garden at the foot of Greiz Palace Hill, stretching down to the Weisse Elster River, but it was not used much by the royal family. The gardens were not laid out until a building preceding today's summer palace was constructed in about 1714.
Starting in 1800, Prince Heinrich XIII, Reuss Older Line (1747 - 1817), had the park redesigned in the English style.
Heinrich XIX, Reuss Older Line (1790 - 1836), hired the Imperial Royal Palace Captain Johann Michael Riedl von Leuenburg from Laxenburg near Vienna to do extensive work. The next design impetus for the landscaped park came in the course of railway construction from the famous Muskau Garden Director Carl Eduard Petzold, who was commissioned in 1872 to draw up plans for the park and concealment of the railway. Petzold's plans were altered by his student, Rudolph Reinecken. As of 1873, Reinecken, who worked in Greiz for a total of 50 years, had a sustained influence on the development of the park.
Since 1994, this nationally significant complex of monuments has belonged to the Stiftung Thüringer Schlösser und Gärten (Foundation of Thuringian Palaces and Gardens).
For guided tours of the park, please contact Tourist Information (tel. 03661-689815).