Neideck Castle Ruins
The Neideck Castle Ruins are situated in the middle of Arnstadt’s historic town centre, directly opposite the Castle Museum in the New Palais. The Neideck Renaissance Castle was built between 1553 and 1560 during the reign of Count Gunther XLI “the Bellicose”. When Arnstadt lost the status of a royal residence upon the death of Prince Anton Gunther II (1716), the slow but steady decay of the magnificent water castle began.
In recent years, work has begun on securing and preserving the remains of walls, foundations and cellar vaults and the layout of the former castle is presented to the general public.
There is also a very popular exhibition in the Neideck Castle Ruins, showing Arnstadt but also, for example, Erfurt Cathedral in miniature.