Share this page:

Weimar Town Palace

Save with the ThüringenCard

Save money with the ThüringenCard
Free admission Order now

On a tour of the Museum in the Town Palace, art lovers can expect a real treat! In the historic palace rooms with their partly original furnishings, the former art collection of the Grand Dukes is on show, ranging from the Middle Ages to the turn of the century around 1900. The highlights of the thematically divided exhibitions are the Cranach Gallery and works by Caspar David Friedrich, Auguste Rodin and Max Beckmann. The first floor displays sculptures and arts and crafts dating from around 1800, including treasures from the dowry of Maria Pavlovna, the Tsar's daughter. Another section shows works of the Weimar School of Painters.

UNESCO World Heritage Site

The Town Palace complex is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site entitled "Classic Weimar", which, as unique testimony to the cultural epoch of Weimar Classic, reflects the outstanding role of Weimar as an intellectual centre in the late 18th and early 19th century.

Further UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Thüringen can be found at
































Opening hours

The Town Palace will be completely closed for full redevelopment as of 2 July 2018 and is expected to re-open in 2023.

Detailed information

  • culture/history
  • art


  • Guided tour by appointment
  • Language: German


Restricted access for wheelchair users Personnel lift available Toilet with restricted access for wheelchair users Assistance for blind and visually impaired persons Assistance for persons hard of hearing

Public disabled parking spaces at Burgplatz (3x4 m, 200 metres away). Direct route to the museum entrance via historic paving in the castle courtyard. Alternative route for wheelchair users on the right and left by the building. Double distance, wide joints, uneven surface.

Threshold at entrance door (3 cm). Ramp (2 metres long, less than 6 %) in entrance area. Wheelchair users can access museum floors via a platform lift in the castle courtyard (300 kg bearing load, 75x97 cm, access via ramp with two ramp sections 2.50 metres and 4.10 metres long, 1.30 metres wide, 6 %) and a lift. Both lifts to be used in company of staff. 2nd floor, with 11 exhibition rooms showing the Weimar Painting School, accessible via stairs. WC on ground floor, accessible via the main entrance. Please note: accessibility only at left = 70 cm, mobility area in front of WC = 106x105 cm.

Guide dogs permitted. Mobile listening loop for use with the audio guide. Film and spoken information on exhibition and history of castle and in writing in pdf file on the internet. By prior appointment, guided tours can be adapted to suit the requirements of visitors with restricted mobility, visual impairments or hearing disabilities.

Key to the pictograms



Contact information

Klassik Stiftung Weimar

Burgplatz 4
99423 Weimar

Telephone: +49 (0) 3643 54 54 00
Telephone: 03643/545402
Fax: +49 (0) 3643 41 98 16

Local information

Travel to destination