Ruhla Museum of Tobacco Pipes and Museum of Town History
From the early 18th to the end of the 19th century, the hill town of Ruhla was a centre of Thuringian tobacco pipe manufacture. The museum includes a large collection of tobacco pipes, made of clay, porcelain, wood and meerschaum. Another focus of the collection is the forging of weapons and knives, which also has a great and significant tradition in Ruhla. The museum itself is housed in one of the town's oldest and most beautiful half-timbered houses (1613/1614). The town is presented in 15 exhibition rooms, together with the history of its trades and industries.