Public guided tour of Arnstadt
The first mention of Arnstadt in records dates back to 704, so the town can justly claim to be Thuringia's oldest place. On a town walk, this long history is encountered at every turn. After passing numerous fountains and historic half-timbered houses, such as the paper mill, visitors arrive at religious monuments, such as the Romanesque/Gothic Church of Our Lady (Liebfrauen kirche) and the Bach Church, where the young Johann Sebastian Bach worked as organist and choirmaster from 1703 to 1707. In 1506, Martin Luther stayed in the then Franciscan monastery, which has now become today's Upper Church (Franciscan Church).