Upper Church in Arnstadt
The Upper Church with the adjoining complex was built in the 13th century as a Franciscan monastery. It was constructed as a Gothic hall church with a length of almost 60 metres and width of 11 metres. The tower was added to stabilise the building in 1461. Wide-reaching changes were made to the interior of the church in the 17th century. A feature of particular interest is the display of pictures of Old Testament scenes in the galleries.
The Upper Church was the town's main church for a long time. Extensive constructional damage led to the church having to be closed in 1977. The roof was repaired in 1991 and the building was made safe, so that the church was able to be used by the parish to a limited extent. Since 2007, the oberkirche arnstadt cultural association has staged concerts, cinema, markets and childrens' programmes in agreement with the parish. The association supports the parish in its efforts to preserve the buildings of the former monastery. Extensive redevelopment of the church and the monastery finally began in 2008 and is scheduled to be completed by the Luther Year in 2017.