Mühlhausen - medieval Imperial town
Mühlhausen in Thuringia, first mentioned in records in 967 as an Ottonian Imperial residence, saw its first heyday from 13th to 15th century. From this era, the inner town wall ring with its defence towers, the land moat, the Town Hall, 11 Gothic churches and numerous town houses have survived. The radical Reformer Thomas Müntzer preached at St Mary's Church in 1525, and the young Johann Sebastian Bach was the organist in Divi Blasii in 1707/08. The restoration of the listed Old Town has been visibly successful.
Martin Luther never came to the former Free Imperial Town himself. It was thanks to Thomas Müntzer (ca. 1490 - 1525) that Mühlhausen nevertheless played an important role during the Reformation period and the German Peasants' War.