Liebfrauenkirche (Church of Our Lady)
After Naumburg Cathedral, the Church of Our Lady is the most important ecclesiastical building dating from the transition period between Romanesque and Gothic in Thuringia (1220-1237). The soaring Gothic choir contrasts sharply with the low and subdued-looking nave of the three-aisle column basilica in Late Romanesque style. The more southerly of the two west towers is still basically Romanesque while the northern one is already in Gothic style. The main focus of the choir is the large winged altar by Jakob Naumann dating from 1498. Tombs of the counts of Schwarzburg are to be found on the walls of the sepulchral chapel in the northern side choir. There is an exhibition of medieval objets d'art inside the church.
Of particular significance is the epitaph of Gunther the Bellicose and his wife Catherine of Nassau dating from 1590. In the middle of the chapel is the tomb of Gunther XXV of Schwarzburg and his wife Elisabeth, a work of art created at the end of the 14th century by the school of Peter Parler. Opposite the west portal of the church, we see a tower in the town wall converted into a "Brunnenkunst" (waterworks) in 1555, in which an elevator pumped the water of the Kelle (or "Stadtweisse") to the higher roads (converted again in 1876).