Former School of Arts and Crafts
The building was designed by Henry van de Velde and built between 1905 and 1906 for the "Grand Duchy of Saxony School of Arts and Crafts in Weimar". Between 1919 and 1925, it was used by the "State Bauhaus in Weimar". Today it is the home of the Faculty of Design and used for teaching by the Weimar Bauhaus University.
Particularly interesting features of this building by van de Velde are the unusual lighting of the wide winding staircase and the three reconstructed wall paintings by Oskar Schlemmer, which were completed for the Bauhaus Exhibition in 1923.
UNESCO World Heritage Site
The former School of Arts and Crafts is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site entitled "The Bauhaus and Its Venues in Dessau and Weimar". They had a decisive influence on the architecture of the 20th century.
Further UNESCO World Heritage Sites can be found at unesco.thueringen-entdecken.de