Henry van de Velde - Museum Haus Schulenburg
Thanks to the private efforts of Magdeburg physician Dr. Volker Kielstein, one of Gera's most attractive mansions has now been restored. The chequered history of the building began with a commission placed by textiles manufacturer Paul Schulenburg (1871-1937) with the Belgian/Flemish architect Henry van de Velde (1863-1957). He wanted a spacious country home, which was completed in 1913/1914. The then star architect van de Velde was also responsible for the interior decoration. The mansion, which marks the transition from Art Nouveau to Bauhaus, was converted into a medical school in 1951. After the fall of Communism, the building was empty for several years until finally bought by Dr. Kielstein in 1996 and lovingly restored step by step on the basis of the original construction plans.
Today, the mansion houses the Van-De-Velde Museum, a private museum with book designs, original furniture, fabric patterns and other works and is one of the architect's major buildings surviving as a complete artistic creation. The 7,500 m² garden constitutes part of the complex and was reconstructed for the Federal Garden Show, using van de Velde's historic plans dating from 1919. The garden with its pergola, fountains, pavilions and spacious lawns is open to the public, as is the mansion itself.
Changing exhibitions show contemporary art. There is a café and car park. In addition the Schulenburg House is the venue for numerous other events. Since 2009, it has also been possible for couples to be married by the Registrar in the House's special ambiance.