Construction of the Gotha Ducal Museum in Neo-Renaissance style began in 1864. It was opened fifteen years later and became the home of the Duke's collection. The collection suffered significant losses towards the end of the Second World War. After extensive renovation, the Museum reopened in 2013 and displays permanent exhibitions on different topics. They include Egyptian antiquities, antiques, numerous paintings, such as the "Gothaer Liebespaar", works by Lucas Cranach the Elder, Rubens and C. D Friedrich, sculptures by Houdon and Adriaen de Vries, porcelain from Meissen and China and rare treasures from Asia.
April-Oct.: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. daily
Nov.-March: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. daily
We regret that the museum café is currently closed.
- Guided tour by appointment
- Parking for coach: 5
- Parking for car: 60
The information on which the pictograms are based originates from the construction plans. Up-to-date infos will be provided from an upcoming review.
Level access for wheelchair users on the right side of the building. The Museum is accessible for wheelchair users throughout. Small stairs resulting from the design of the building can be overcome with the help of ramps or a platform lift. Audio guide available. Some of the exhibits can be touched and are marked in Braille. By prior appointment, special guided tours can be arranged for guests with physical or mental disabilities.
Key to the pictograms