Castle Park with English Garden and Orangery
The former royal town of Gotha was once known as a “garden city” and today still features extensive parks around Friedenstein Castle, the town’s predominant landmark. The Castle Park is 21 hectares in size and includes the orangery and the English Garden. The latter was modelled on English landscaped gardens and laid out between 1766 and 1782. Thus, the Castle Park is one of the oldest English landscaped gardens on the continent. Nestling between lawns and groups of trees, two artificial ponds are the dominating feature of the southern section of the park. The Castle Park with the English Garden is open all year round.