Cyriaksburg Castle - German Horticultural Museum in Erfurt
The German Horticultural Museum (Deutsches Gartenbaumuseum) is located at Cyriaksburg Castle in the egapark, the "Garden of Thuringia". Cyriaksburg Castle is situated on a hill outside the city gates of Erfurt and was begun in 1480 and not completed until about 1604. The shape of the fortifications was like a rectangle with unequal sides. Two large round towers dating from 1528 and 1530 respectively have been preserved. One of them is now used as a viewing tower and the other one houses an observatory. The moat is also partly visible. From 1631 to 1649, during the Thirty Years' War, Cyriaksburg Castle was occupied by the Swedes. During that time, it is said that the famous physicist Otto von Guericke from Magdeburg assisted in fortifying parts of the castle. The remains of Cyriaksburg Castle still visible today date back mainly to 1824 to 1830, when the Prussians converted the castle into a fortress. The underground section houses a well of about 40 metres depth which dates back to 1530. The brick vault above the well was built in 1829. Parts of the fortress were dismantled between 1874 and 1900. With the support of the Association for the Improvement of Erfurt (Erfurter Verschönerungsverein), the surrounding areas were gradually planted with shrubs and flowers as of 1885 and opened to the public. The rooms of Cyriaksburg Castle are now used for the German Horticultural Museum's permanent exhibition. For refreshments, there is a self service café.