Each year in November and December, a very special atmosphere is taking control of Thuringia – Christmas time is back again! Towns and villages are festively illuminated, Christmas markets open their doors, music and the wonderful smell of 'Glühwein' are in the air, and 'Stollen', the typical Christmas cake, is on sale wherever you go.
Lauscha in the Thuringian Forest is the birthplace of glass Christmas tree decoration, which was first produced here more than 160 years ago. The tradition is alive in the many glass workshops in and around Lauscha, where Christmas atmosphere can be found all year round.
To get into the right mood for Christmas, you should head for one of the many Christmas markets all over Thuringia. The biggest and most popular is in Erfurt, the Thuringian capital. It is beautifully set against the backdrop of the magnificent Erfurt Cathedral. Weimar welcomes visitors with a market stretching through the historical streets of the 'Town of the Classic', opening longer than most other Thuringian Christmas markets do.
A very special market is held in the courtyard of the impressive Wartburg Castle in Eisenach, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Here visitors can enjoy typical food, drinks, crafts, music and entertainment from the Middle Ages. And for those who want to make sure that their wishes come true, we recommend to visit the Market of Wishes at Leuchtenburg castle. Here you can write your wish on a porcellain plate and then throw this from the Skywalk of Wishes into the deep valley below the castle. When the plate breaks, the wish will come true ...
Selected Christmas markets 2017
- Erfurt, 28th November - 22nd December, 2017
- Weimar, 28 November - 30st December, 2017
- Jena, 27th November - 22nd December, 2017
- Wilhelmsburg Castle, SchmalkaldenMedieval Christmas market at 1st and 2nd Advent weekends 2017
- Wartburg Castle EisenachHistorical Christmas market, at all Advent weekends 2017
- Leuchtenburg castle near Jena, Market of Wishes on 9th/10th and 16th/17th December, 2017
- Mühlhausen, 14th Dec-17th Dec, 2017