Erfurt Anger Museum
Built as a packing and weighing facility between 1706 and 1712, the Anger Museum now houses art and arts and crafts from the Middle Ages through to the present. The building has been lavishly restored and even the main gate to the columned hall has been re-opened, after being bricked up for more than 80 years.
The porcelain collection in the Anger Museum shows a representative cross-section of Thuringian porcelain of the 18th to 20th century, with tableware, figures, sculptures, picture boards, reliefs, collectors' items and absurdities.
The collections of arts and crafts have been extended continually and systematically since 1903. Unlike the royal collections in Thuringia, the focus is on items serving to show historical, economic and cultural development in Erfurt and Thuringia.
In the new permanent exhibition, comparisons between similar and different products illustrate the stylistic and formal features of the different eras and manufactories. There is emphasis on the search for role models and artists' movements and comparisons are made with other collections, in particular the Thuringian faiences of the 18th century, the largest collection of its kind in the world.