The Abbeanum on Fröbelstieg in Jena was built in 1930 under the direction of Ernst Neufert, a leading co-founder of the Bauhaus style in Weimar. The building was commissioned by the Carl Zeiss Foundation for the University Optics Institute and Institute for Applied Mathematics. It is still used today by the Friedrich Schiller University for teaching and research.
The lecture rooms with high ceilings and the institute rooms with lower ceilings had to be accommodated in one building. This room diviison problem was solved by the lower positioning of an assembly room on the first floor between the large lecture rooms on the ground floor and the second floor. The structure is supported by reinforced concrete columns with reinforced concrete ceilings with a large span width. The outside walls are made of yellow high-fired bricks. The building corridors are lit by daylight.
The Abbeanum was fully rebuilt from 1993 to 1995 and is used today for lectures of the Faculty of Mathematics and Information Science.